Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Start of Something Started

Invisible Children (IC) is a beautiful organization and I have found myself believing more and more in what we do. I have always been a huge supporter of IC and let it be known that the integrity of Invisible Children is far above reproach. A few days ago my Ugandan teammates arrived with open arms and humble gratitude. The wonderful Monica and Irene, my Ugandan teammates, have a long history with the conflict in Central Africa. Monica at only 21  years of age has never known a life without war. She is one of 7 siblings and has lost her parents to the LRA. Irene is 33 and a prime example of the potential of the Ugandan people. She is a mentor and an educator and currently working on a book of Ugandan folklore. These lady's after only 2 days have confirmed my reasons for being here. Monica was asked at the air port what she was most excited for on tour. You might expect this little petite African girl, that doesnt look a day over 15, who has never really been outside of the Gulu area till now to mention something to the effect of seeing America. Instead, Monica began to say that she was most excited to  tell  the people that have supported her school and helped her people thank you. After only knowing her for about 30 minute I knew that I was here for the right reasons. Monica has been given the chance to grow to be an educated woman and is excited to return to her country to further that education in university by studying history and religious studies. This is truly going to be a journey. One filled with life and growth. Thankfully for me, this journey has already begun.

1 comment: